Announcement



New Links!


Attention to everyone in this Tutorial Group 10. For the ease of everyone here and for easy access, I have put up links that link to the short stories that is required for our semester. Keys and Locks and Open Doors was deleted from the original website, but I found another website only in a different language, but the text is basically English. Have fun using the new feature!

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Moment She Left

Have you ever lost a good friend of yours? Good bye is the most hardest thing to be said. Sometimes we are apart temporarily for a reason. But sometimes, the good bye is the last one and we will never have another chance to meet again, even awhile.

I had this one good friend, Meera. She is one year older than me. We shared many things together. I was close to her family, and so did her. As she was a bit older, she always gave me advices regarding studies and many else. But ever since she finished her school, we barely met. Only mobile and internet connected us. She was always concerned about my studies and my health. She was like a sister to me. I just couldn't imagine my life without her. But somehow one day, we became very busy until we didn't have time to reach each other. I understood her condition as she was at the university to continue her studies.

On my seventeenth birthday, when I was enjoying lunch with my family, I received a phone call from an unknown number. I just picked up without expecting anyone. I was kind of surprised when I know that it was her who called me. She wished my birthday and apologised me as she did not contact me for a long time. We had some chat and before we ended the call, she told me that she had something to tell me. I was like curious to know what was it about. She said that she was confirmed that she was suffering from a type of bone cancer, osteosarcoma during the medical check up made on the previous day. I did not believe her at first but she explained that there were active malignant cells in her left tibia, a bone at her leg. She needed to through an operation and twelve chemotherapies at University of Malaya Medical Centre. She also needed to stop her study in order to undergo the treatments. She never told me, and I was afraid to ask too, but people said that the cancer had reached the last level which was the most dangerous one.

Ever since she was in her treatment, we became close again. She told me stories everyday. She told about the handsome doctor who cared about her a lot. She told about the gifts people brought during visits. She told about a singer came to visit her and how excited she was. She told about how smooth her head was as she had to remove all her hair out to avoid hair falls, which was the side effect of the medication she took. I always prayed for her. She never whined about her pain. She seemed very unworried. One day when I was packing up my things up before going back to my campus, I received a phone call showing her number but when I picked up, it was Meera's father who was speaking. He told me that she had passed away that very morning. I was speechless. I ran to my mother to tell about this. She Asked me to patient and pray for her soul. We were not able to come to the funeral as I needed to go back to the university. I just prayed from far.

I have been missing her for a month. All the stories she told, the advices she gave and all the memories will remain in my heart. The moment I knew the sad news, I realised that this life is just a temporary gift from the only God, so we have to make use all the opportunities before it is too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment