Announcement



New Links!


Attention to everyone in this Tutorial Group 10. For the ease of everyone here and for easy access, I have put up links that link to the short stories that is required for our semester. Keys and Locks and Open Doors was deleted from the original website, but I found another website only in a different language, but the text is basically English. Have fun using the new feature!

Thursday, June 16, 2011

THE MOMENT: SHIPPING THROUGH THE ODDS

THE MOMENT: SHIPPING THROUGH THE ODDS

Have you ever experienced your one gay day turn into a topsy-turvy, an eccentric day? Well, I did. It was 32 months ago, when I was enjoying my fluffy waffle with a cup of tea near the veranda. A man, about 7 foot tall with darked eyes ,appeared from nowhere and handed me a letter. Stated inside that i was chosen to participate in a camping at the virgin lake. I startled. Then, my mind started puzzling, thinking – how do they know me? , the virgin lake? and am I the only one?

I kept on thinking, do I know them? During the journey, we had a little chat,to be precise, a natter. They said that they had been observing me since the last summer; they already knew my family background that my parents were separated, my little brother died when he was jumping with the trampoline at our backyard, my grandma loves knitting and so on so forth. Surprisingly, those people kept on talking about myself until we reached at the virgin lake 3 hours later. Yet, they didn’t let me know who they were actually,not even their name. It’s quite bizarre and plus, fishy and suspicious atmosphere. I ignored.

At last, here we are. The VIRGIN lake. It seems like I’ve never seen or heard this place before. But,wait! Now only I remember. Dad once told me about this lake. He was a child when he enjoyed the most carefree period of his life. It was his favourite place for fishing and camping as it used to be a virgin lake, with wildlife and absence of any kind of good roads to it. Daddy said that this lake symbolizes his youth age, being a witness to the all moments of his joyfulness. But, this is totally not to what I’ve imagined before. In front of my eyes was now a wild lake, where cottages sprinkled around the shores, and it was in farming although the shores of the lake were quite heavily wooded. I wondered around the jungle all by myself, wondering that the lake is not supposed to be like this. Am I in the right place?

Am I the only one? Well,there were other girls with me on that particular day. But they treated me just like I am the shadow for them. All they did were just ignoring me. I mean that when I am trying to talk to them, or ask them about something, they will acted as if nothing happened. Being isolated and astrayed from others, just like no one cares about your existence around them, is truly dreadful experience for me. As I am trying to approach them, the wind slapped my face brutally. I can’t touch them. My nerves triggered the spine, causing me to tremble wobbly. I fainted. When I woke up, I am home.

Thus, frankly speaking, that quirky day will sure appeared vividly in memories throughout my whole life. I believe that there must be some message that ‘them’ really wanted to deliver to me. They wanted me to appreciate my family, to be the real grown up lady, matured enough to face the obstacles and to fulfil the future responsibilities, and also to treat other as good as I treat myself. So, from that moments onwards, after shipping through all the odds that day, I realised and improvise myself and finally today, here it is. The new me!

BY: NURATIKAH ISMAIL



No comments:

Post a Comment